I finally decided to start taking some antacid medicine and it has given me relief for the past two days. I rarely ever take any medicine but after 12 days of feeling like garbage, I felt like I had to do something. I also cut out beans which seems to be helping reduce the burping and acid reflux as well. On that lovely note, let’s talk about the dinner I made last night. I came across a recipe for a Ziti Lasagna on Twitter and decided it looked like a beast of a meal so I decided to try it out. It took me 1.5 hours all together to complete the meal, but it’ll probably feed me 10 times as long as I don’t get sick of it by then. Doing the math makes it come out to be ~9 minutes of prep time per meal, not that’s not so bad. This might not be the most elegant meal you’ve ever seen, but for me this is a big step toward cooking veggie meals for myself.
Here’s the ingredients list:
- 12oz pasta
- 2 cups tomato sauce (probably could have used double this but I didn’t have enough sauce)
- Olive Oil
- 15oz ricotta cheese
- 1.5 cup shredded mozzarella (also could have used more of this, but oh well)
- 1 large green pepper cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups frozen spinach
- 2 cups frozen broccoli
- 3 tsp basil
- 3 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp parsley
- Salt and pepper (just guesstimated the amount)
- 1lb soy-based meatless meat
- Boil pasta until it’s el dente, drain the water, and add the Tomato Sauce and Ricotta cheese then set it on the side for now
- Mix the spices together in their own bowl
- Sautee the green pepper in olive oil and then add spinach and broccoli finishing with the spices, sautee until the spinach looks like it’s wilting.
- Take a 9”x13” pan and put down some tomato sauce followed by a layer of pasta, layer of veggies, soy-meat (it’s pre-cooked) and cover with a layer of shredded mozzarella
- Repeat above step with tomato sauce, pasta, veggies, soy-meat and mozzarella
- Bake at 350F covered with tinfoil for 30 minutes and then uncover and bake for another 15 minutes.
The meal turned out to be delicious and has yet to give me heartburn so life is good. I’ve had it for three meals so far and it’s hearty, filling, and most importantly it’s vegetarian. In the past I definitely would have put hamburger in it as my meat. I think next time I would add something a little spicier like jalapenos and I would definitely use more pasta sauce, I find it to be almost too dry the way it is. Perhaps I cooked it for too long? All things considered, I think it came out pretty well and I’m proud of myself for staying in the kitchen for more than 15 minutes.